This globe has a kind of usefulness in terms of simple DataViz. I think it can be thought of as the 3D equivalent of the pie chart. Great for beginners.
But for almost any other use, the globe code is quite limited.
So I began to think of the globe I would like to have.
The features should include:
- Ability to access all sorts of open source and publicly available data from, say, Open Street Map, MapQuest and Google Maps
- All runs in your browser in a just a few hundred lines of code
- Fully 3D with easy to add and remove 3D assets at runtime
- Eighteen levels of zoom like OSM and Google Maps
- Basic 3D topology for the entire globe
- Full 3D camera controls
- User interface overlay built with a standard library such as jQuery
I'm sure there's more, but in a nutshell I want a simplified Google Map and a Google Earth that I can create and edit using tools made for dummies.
So far I think it's all doable. The link below will take you to Jaanga oSome Globe r2 on GitHub which supports 18 levels of zoom. I am working on r3 and the work on 3D topology is underway.